Home

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Saveur Challenge Week 2! Weekday Dinner.



So, there is a miraculous full time working mom out there somewhere who meal preps with precision on Sunday and then plates beautiful meals Monday through Friday after an 8 hour workday.  This person seriously impresses me, but I am not this woman.  I am the woman pictured above, and while I am wearing an apron in this photo looking all pro-cook like here,  its most likely that it is the weekend and I am getting ready to make a tasty beverage rather than a 4 course meal.  Dinner cooking duties are divided around here and on days when I work until 6 or later, those tasks fall off of my plate, thankfully.  The thing is, I do love to cook.  Its fun aka it brings me joy!  Also, its an excuse to play music really loud and ignore complaints from or arguments between my kids.  I’m sorry; did you say something while that Waylon and Willie album was turned up to 11 sweetie? 


This brings me to my current issue of interest, Saveur #69, October 2003.  The cover story is all about canned Tuna so there has got to be a straight forward mid week relatively easy meal here, right?  OK, so I pick “Tuna and White Bean Salad”.  I’m a sucker for bean salads. 


I somehow remember to soak the beans the night before so I feel super ahead and prepared.   Said white beans take more like 1 ½ hours to cook (recipe says 45-60 min) but no worries, I’m still pretty much on track.  From there it’s a quick matter of cutting a few veggies and herbs, making a simple vinaigrette, and breaking up a few tins of fancy oil packed tuna which the recipe says should be a particular brand that I can't buy here.  However I track down some pretty fancy looking Spanish origin stuff so I'm still feeling special.


The result was … delicious.  Also, this meal was really quite healthy.  I added some chopped Romaine and multi grain baguette because I like things that are crunchy and crusty and so do my people.  3 of the 4 members of this household ate this happily.  Alas, the 4 year old ate chicken nuggets (healthy ones from Whole Foods, I promise) and cut up veggies.  I’ll cut him some slack.  


So I'm 2 for 2 here on recipes that bring me joy.  This one was sort of great because it was easy to cook, really didn't take much time to complete, and it was a little different then our regular weeknight fare.  

So another magazine finds its way safely back to the shelf.  This is fun.  And did I mention, delicious?


No comments:

Winter, finally (and seriously)

I planned to start this blog last spring as my garden flew into action, but then got into the actual work of gardening and abandoned the task. However, today its winter, really winter. I'm wearing long underwear and sitting under a blanket and I'm still cold.
Today is the shortest day of the year so from here on in it gets better. I look forward to longer days, that's for sure. But I'll also tuck in and enjoy winter's freeze and snow, it does mean skiing after all. Maybe more importantly is the snow pack - without snow there isn't water for the West.
The end of the year and the solstice are a good time to think back on the last 365. I have no reason to complain and feel really lucky about the last year and really hopeful about the year to come.