Home

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Progress and Pests

Midway through the month of May things continue to be cool and rainy.  Needless to say, some of my plants are loving it, like the lettuces
The  garlic and potatoes also seem pretty happy
However something is eating my peas.  I'm not sure what, so not sure how to destroy the offender since I'm not game to go spraying poison in my garden.  (just not my style)
In other news, remember that hoop house I planted back in November with Spinach and Arugula?  Awesome, check out the parallel rows, arugula on right, spinach on left, 2 varieties of each.
I'm eating some serious salad.  What about you, were are you and what are you eating out of your backyard garden?

No comments:

Winter, finally (and seriously)

I planned to start this blog last spring as my garden flew into action, but then got into the actual work of gardening and abandoned the task. However, today its winter, really winter. I'm wearing long underwear and sitting under a blanket and I'm still cold.
Today is the shortest day of the year so from here on in it gets better. I look forward to longer days, that's for sure. But I'll also tuck in and enjoy winter's freeze and snow, it does mean skiing after all. Maybe more importantly is the snow pack - without snow there isn't water for the West.
The end of the year and the solstice are a good time to think back on the last 365. I have no reason to complain and feel really lucky about the last year and really hopeful about the year to come.