Home

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Getting to Work

Its here, that time of year when we get warmer days and the soil warms up and dries out a bit.  If you have seed packets that say "as soon as soil can be worked," its game on friends.
I spent last Sunday cleaning up my strawberry patch, dividing up some runners and then laying a nice few inches of compost.  Thank goodness I had help hauling the bags from the car to the garden.
Inside the hoop, my spinach is up and looking happy.  My garlic is also coming up, always a good sign.
I'm sporting these pretty and so far very functional garden gloves that Tyler bought me for my birthday in January from Womanswork.

I've also got a big weekend ahead of me if the weather cooperates.  I ordered 3 fruit trees from Trees of Antiquity and they arrived today. More on that later.

They don't call it March Madness for nothing.  (OK, also... Go Huskies!!)

-JG

No comments:

Winter, finally (and seriously)

I planned to start this blog last spring as my garden flew into action, but then got into the actual work of gardening and abandoned the task. However, today its winter, really winter. I'm wearing long underwear and sitting under a blanket and I'm still cold.
Today is the shortest day of the year so from here on in it gets better. I look forward to longer days, that's for sure. But I'll also tuck in and enjoy winter's freeze and snow, it does mean skiing after all. Maybe more importantly is the snow pack - without snow there isn't water for the West.
The end of the year and the solstice are a good time to think back on the last 365. I have no reason to complain and feel really lucky about the last year and really hopeful about the year to come.