Home

Monday, April 4, 2011

Under the Weather

Guilty as charged.  Last week I was out in short sleeves soaking in the warm spring air. I should have expected a big heavy snow storm especially since I was taking some days off from work to do some gardening.
Last night the overnight low was 29 degrees.  Luckily there wasn't anything in the barrels yet.
The row cover hoop house seems to have treated the hops, spinach, and strawberry transplants OK.
And as for the bed of root veg I planted last week...
Luckily no sprouts yet,so no harm done

My peach tree has been here since me moved in 5 years ago and appears to have taken the snowstorm in stride.
So all in all everything in our plant kingdom seems to have held up OK.  I think that it is mostly the humans who felt a little injured by the storm.

No comments:

Winter, finally (and seriously)

I planned to start this blog last spring as my garden flew into action, but then got into the actual work of gardening and abandoned the task. However, today its winter, really winter. I'm wearing long underwear and sitting under a blanket and I'm still cold.
Today is the shortest day of the year so from here on in it gets better. I look forward to longer days, that's for sure. But I'll also tuck in and enjoy winter's freeze and snow, it does mean skiing after all. Maybe more importantly is the snow pack - without snow there isn't water for the West.
The end of the year and the solstice are a good time to think back on the last 365. I have no reason to complain and feel really lucky about the last year and really hopeful about the year to come.