Home

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Great greens!

We are currently eating a lot of salads and greens.  I purchased some new seed varieties this year that have been a great success, so I thought I'd share the goods.


Rouge de Grenoblouse, Nevada, Kweik, Pirat, Merlot Batavian, Arianna Batavian


We have harvested all of our Rapini, which in my opinion is one of the best things to add to a shaped pasta with goat cheese and garlic.

The rest of the garden is moving right along and as much as I love green, I'm looking forward to some other bright colors in the coming months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When did you plant these for this May harvest? I see that you have a row cover on there so I'm assuming late March or so?

Johanna said...

These were all planted by direct seeding during the first week of March.

Winter, finally (and seriously)

I planned to start this blog last spring as my garden flew into action, but then got into the actual work of gardening and abandoned the task. However, today its winter, really winter. I'm wearing long underwear and sitting under a blanket and I'm still cold.
Today is the shortest day of the year so from here on in it gets better. I look forward to longer days, that's for sure. But I'll also tuck in and enjoy winter's freeze and snow, it does mean skiing after all. Maybe more importantly is the snow pack - without snow there isn't water for the West.
The end of the year and the solstice are a good time to think back on the last 365. I have no reason to complain and feel really lucky about the last year and really hopeful about the year to come.