Home

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Holiday Garden

The much awaited (OK so maybe me and 2 other people are in suspense about this) Hoop House looks... the same.  On the bright side, the low tunnel is cranking.  Check it out.
Pictured above: Beet greens (red and golden), Broccoli Rabe, Frise, Mustard Greens

We picked Beet greens for Tacos and Arugula for Salads.  We'll pick most of the Rabe for a midweek pasta dish on Wednesday.

Oh yeah, and carrots.  These are literally the sweetest carrots I have ever eaten.  So here's the crazy part, they have no covering.  If you are wondering how they are still alive I have a theory.  We've been lucky enough to have a snow storm before every really cold spell below 32 F this winter so far so I think I'm getting an igloo effect.

After all that Winter Gardening Carson and I wanted to show you our serious gardening faces.  You dig?

1 comment:

Winter, finally (and seriously)

I planned to start this blog last spring as my garden flew into action, but then got into the actual work of gardening and abandoned the task. However, today its winter, really winter. I'm wearing long underwear and sitting under a blanket and I'm still cold.
Today is the shortest day of the year so from here on in it gets better. I look forward to longer days, that's for sure. But I'll also tuck in and enjoy winter's freeze and snow, it does mean skiing after all. Maybe more importantly is the snow pack - without snow there isn't water for the West.
The end of the year and the solstice are a good time to think back on the last 365. I have no reason to complain and feel really lucky about the last year and really hopeful about the year to come.